Latest Articles

  • Global cyber attack could spur $53 billion in losses: Lloyd's of London

    (Reuters) - A major, global cyber attack could trigger an average of $53 billion of economic losses, a figure on par with a catastrophic natural disaster such as U.S. Superstorm Sandy in 2012, Lloyd's of London said in a report on Monday.

    The report, co-written with risk-modeling firm Cyence, examined potential economic losses from the hypothetical hacking of a cloud service provider and cyber attacks on computer operating systems run by businesses worldwide.

    Insurers are struggling to estimate their potential exposure to cyber-related losses amid mounting cyber risks and interest in cyber insurance. A lack of historical data on which insurers can base assumptions is a key challenge.

    "Because cyber is virtual, it is such a difficult task to understand how it will accumulate in a big event," Lloyd's of London Chief Executive Inga Beale told Reuters.

    Economic costs in the hypothetical cloud provider attack dwarf the $8 billion global cost of the "WannaCry" ransomware attack in May, which spread to more than 100 countries, according to Cyence.

    Economic costs typically include business interruptions and computer repairs.

    The Lloyd's report follows a U.S. government warning to industrial firms about a hacking campaign targeting the nuclear and energy sectors.

    In June, an attack of a virus dubbed "NotPetya" spread from infections in Ukraine to businesses around the globe. It encrypted data on infected machines, rendering them inoperable and disrupted activity at ports, law firms and factories.

    "NotPetya" caused $850 million in economic costs, Cyence said.

    Read more

    Read more
  • Eritrea Accuses Al Jazeera of "Malicious Propaganda"


     

    Eritrea accused Al Jazeera media group of continued smear campaigns against the tiny East African state.

    Eritrea’s latest accusations against al Jazeera comes days after the Qatar based media published an article titled “Eritrea: Anecdotes of indefinite anarchy”.

    The article posted last week touches range of issues including on a worsening political and socioeconomic situations of the reclusive state.

    It also questions the extent and complexity of the country’s transformation from a promising country into the personal fiefdom of President Isaias Afeworki and his cliques at the People’s Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ).mplexity of the country’s transformation from a promising country into the personal fiefdom of President Isaias Afeworki and his cliques at the People’s Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ).complexity of the country’s transformation from a promising country into the personal fiefdom of President Isaias Afeworki and his cliques at the People’s Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ).

    The author refers the one-party state as a country preparing for dawn.Last June, the Eritrean government announced its full support of positions taken by Saudi Arabia and its allies who accuse Qatar of sponsoring terrorist groups.

    In response to the article, Eritrean News Agency Director, Paulos Netabay, said the article in question essentially dwells on a “barrage of vitriol against Eritrea”

    Paulos accused the author of routinely engaging in a smear campaign against the country.

    “I will not waste your time here to respond to his unfounded and outrageous narrative. But what we find baffling is Al-Jazeera’s evident preference to accommodate and disseminate innuendos and lies by obscure authors of dubious credibility and/or who harbor sinister agendas against Eritrea?” he said. 

    Read more
  • Vermont officials offer $100 bounty to find tree vandals

     

     

    WEST RUTLAND, Vt. — Town officials in Vermont are willing to spend $100 to find out who is breaking branches off of local trees in West Rutland.

    The select board voted Monday to authorize a $100 reward. Town Manager Mary Ann Goulette tells the Rutland Herald (http://bit.ly/2tNce3u ) they don't have any concrete leads yet on who's responsible for the tree damage, but have received tips on Facebook.

     Last year, the town planted a group of 200 trees on a local street. Someone started breaking branches — and in some cases tree trunks — in mid-June.

    Goulette says the repeated vandalism has drawn a significant amount of anger in the community, triggering the board's decision to offer the reward. People with information on the perpetrators are asked to call the Rutland County Sheriff's Department.

    Read more

    Read more
  • Tsegaab Collects Cosmetics, Keeps Hospital Going Strong through Charity

    Tsegaab Reduces Waste, Keeps Hospital Going Strong through Charity

    (DireTube News, Addis Ababa) — Born in Ethiopia, raised and attended school in the United States of America, Tsegaab Asaminew, has done a remarkable charity—she collected and donated cosmetics and cleaning agents to the local most renowned Hamlin Fistula Hospital.

    As there are many women who struggle to cope with life despite bear the brunt of huge health challenges, what Tsegaab did is an exemplary action that will embolden millions to follow her footsteps.

    Such bold and creative charity deeds are the most powerful tools charity organizations in the country can lean on as they struggle for funding.

    Tsegaab has been made it his mission to collect donated goods in Addis Ababa, sort through them and get them Fistula Hospital in need.

    Her idea is wise. She looks for unused but not expired Shampoos, lotions and other cosmetics like soaps, in residential areas, businesses, hotels and different offices, where people can deposit reusable goods.

    She has also been convincing peoples about the charity work she has been planning for long, and, fortunately, many have been in fond of the idea she comes up with.

    “Lotion for Life” is her Facebook page and she tells everyone who is interested in the topic can like, join and see details on the page she created.

    Read more
  • High-speed Hyperloop project ready for key test in Nevada

    Engineers will soon conduct a crucial test of a futuristic technology championed by entrepreneur Elon Musk that seeks to revolutionize transportation by sending passengers and cargo packed into pods through an intercity system of vacuum tubes.

    Hyperloop One, the Los-Angeles-based company developing the technology, is gearing up to send a 28-foot-long (8.5 meter-long) pod gliding across a set of tracks in a test run in Nevada in the next few weeks, spokeswoman Marcy Simon said.

    Hyperloop One is working to develop a technical vision proposed by Musk, the founder of rocket maker SpaceX and electric car company Tesla Motors. In 2013, he suggested sending pods with passengers through giant vacuum tubes between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

    Hyperloop aims to achieve speeds of 250 miles per hour (402 km per hour) in its upcoming phase of testing.

     As it gears up for that experiment, the company on Wednesday released the results from a May 12 test in the Nevada desert. A Hyperloop One sled on wheels for the first time coasted above a track using electromagnetic propulsion and magnetic levitation, Simon said.

    It levitated for 5.3 seconds in a vacuum-sealed tube and reached speeds of 70 mph (113 kph), the company said in a statement. By comparison, another test by Hyperloop One that made national headlines last year was done on an open-air track, not in the tube, a key to achieving high speeds.

    Read more

    Read more
  • Eight die in Senegal soccer stadium wall collapse

    July 16 (UPI) -- Eight people died and at least 88 people were injured after a soccer stadium partly collapsed amid fighting between fans of two teams in Senegal, an official news agency reported.

    Stade de Mbour scored in the first period of extra time to defeat Union Sportive Ouakam 2-1 in the African nation's capital, Dakar, and violence broke out Saturday. Some fans threw projectiles, including stones, Agence de Presse Senegalaise reported.

    Police responded with tear gas, prompting panicking fans to climb over a low wall at Demba Diop Stadium.

    Sports minister Matar Ba said a young girl was among those killed.

    Ambulances and fire trucks transported around 60 victims to hospitals.

    "Outraged by the incidents at the Demba Diop Stadium. The light will be cast on this tragedy. Those responsible will be identified and sanctioned," Senegal's President Macky Sall posted on Twitter in French.

    A spokesman for Sall said campaigning for upcoming elections would be suspended Sunday.

    Sall said he extended his condolences to the families of the victims and wished a speedy recovery for those injured. Sall also ordered Senegal's prime minister to "take all the necessary measures to improve security in the stadiums," a presidential statement reads.

    Read more

    Read more