Advertisements



Advertisements



Members


Username
Password
Remember Me

Advertisements


Latest articles

Nigeria may seek death penalty against child bride

Published: Oct 31, 2014 by bini Filed under: World News Ethiopian News
Nigeria may seek death penalty against child bride

Nigeria may seek death penalty against child bride

Gezawa - A 14-year-old Nigerian girl accused of murdering her 35-year-old husband by putting rat poison in his food could face the death penalty, Nigerian prosecutors said on Thursday.

The trial of Wasila Tasi'u, from a poor northern Nigeria family, has sparked a heated debate on the role of underage marriage in the conservative Muslim region, especially whether an adolescent girl can consent to be a bride.

Prosecutors at the High Court in Gezawa, outside Nigeria's second city of Kano, filed an amended complaint that charged Tasi'u with one count of murder over the killing of Umar Sani two weeks after their April wedding in the village of Unguwar Yansoro.

Lead prosecutor Lamido Abba Soron-Dinki said that if convicted, the charge is "punishable with death" and indicated the state would seek the maximum penalty.

Ethiopia withdraws as Cecafa Challenge Cup hosts

Published: Oct 31, 2014 by bini Filed under: Ethiopian News Sport News
Cecafa reveal to Goal that Ethiopia have pulled out as this year’s Senior Challenge Cup hosts and that a replacement will be announced next week

Ethiopia have pulled out as this year’s Council of East and Central Africa (Cecafa) Senior Challenge Cup hosts.

Cecafa secretary general Nicholas Musonye has revealed to Goal that Ethiopia will not be in a position to stage the regional tournament due to ‘personal issues.’

“Ethiopia have written to us confirming that they will not be in a position to stage the tournament. We have accepted their withdrawal and are now working on getting a replacement.

“We should have a new host in next one week. We had several countries on standby and by next week…we will announce who replaces Ethiopia as hosts.”

Musonye added, “Ethiopia pulling out does not mean that the tournament will not go ahead. Our plans still remain and dates will remain unchanged.”

This year’s tournament was scheduled to kick-off from November. Kenya’s Harambee Stars are Cup holders after beating Sudan 2-0 in final of last year's edition played at Nyayo Stadium in Nairobi.

Goal.com

Eight UPL games deferred

Published: Oct 31, 2014 by Mihret L Filed under: Sport News
Eight UPL games deferred

Eight Uganda Premier League matches that were scheduled to be played on Friday, November 7 have been brought forward by three days, the UPL secretariat announced on Thursday.

This after Fufa’s request for a break to allow Cranes coach Micho Sredojevic work with players he will summon from the league for friendly match between Uganda and Ethiopia. That match is due November 9 at Mandela National Stadium ,Namboole.

The friendly has been organized by the Government of the Republic of Uganda and Fufa, with summoning of players to partake due to be summed next week.


U.S. Deeply Concerned by Sentence of Ethiopian Journalist

Published: Oct 31, 2014 by Mihret L Filed under: Ethiopian News Politics
U.S. Deeply Concerned by Sentence of Ethiopian Journalist

The United States is deeply concerned by the October 27 sentencing of Ethiopian journalist Temesgen Desalegn to three years in prison for “provocation and dissemination of inaccurate information.” Freedom of expression and freedom of the press are fundamental elements of a democratic society, and the promotion and protection of these rights and freedoms are basic responsibilities of democratic governments.


Japan to strengthen support to Ethiopia

Published: Oct 31, 2014 by Mihret L Filed under: Ethiopian News Business Economy
Japan to strengthen support to Ethiopia

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said his country will strengthen the support it extends for Ethiopia’s development endeavors.   

While receiving Speaker of the House of Peoples' Representatives of Ethiopia, Abadua Gemeda, the Premier said that Japan will continue to support Ethiopia through JAICA and other international agencies.   

Commending Ethiopia's efforts in building lasting peace in the Horn of Africa, Prime Minister Abe said Japan will continue to extend support to this end.


EthioTelecom warned to terminate its contract with ZTE

Published: Oct 31, 2014 by girumtebeje Filed under: Ethiopian News Business Economy
EthioTelecom warned to terminate its contract with ZTE

It was just about two years ago that EthioTelecom signed a contract with ZTE for an 800 mln dollars worth of network expansion project. According to the news report from the reporter, EthioTelecom has written a letter of warning to ZTE, for an immediate start of the project that hasn’t yet been started within one month time.

If the project failed to be started with a month time, the letter signed by EthioTelecom’s CEO warned that ‘it will be considered as ZTE terminated the contract…’

In a letter sent by ZTE to the reporter bi-weekly considering the alleged ‘unfair and false’ news report concerning the “cancellation of ZTE’s contract with EthioTelecom,” ZTE has denied any kind of contract cancellation.

In a letter sent to DireTube, ZTE has said that it is in a ‘SCC (Specific Commercial Contract) negotiation with EthioTelecom based on the signed Frame contract’

DireTube News



Page 1 of 1156